Significance of Mitosis can be summarized as under.
1. It is an equational division which maintains equal distribution of chromosomes after each cell cycle.
2. The resulting daughter cells inherit identical chromosomal material (hereditary material) both in quantity (i.e. numbers) and quality( i.e. genetic make up or characters).
3. Mitosis maintains constant number of chromosomes in all body cells of an organism.
4. It helps to maintain the equilibrium in the amount of DNA and RNA contents of a cell as well as the nuclear and cytoplasmic balance in the cell.
5. Dead cells are replaced by newly formed cells through mitosis. it thus helps in the repair of the body.
6. It helps asexual reproduction, growth and development of organisms.