GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS OF TRANSFORMED CELLS.
- High spontaneous mutation rate
- Overexpressed oncogenes
- Mutated or deleted suppressor genes.
- Altered cytoskeleton
- Changed extracellular matrix
- Modified expression of cell adhesion molecules
- Disrupted cell polarity
- Immortalized cells
- Loss of contact inhibition
- Anchorage independent
- Density limitation of growth reduced
- Growth factor independent
- Low serum requirement
- Shorter population doubling time
- Increased protease secretion.