Major Points to remember with respect to Significance of Photochemical Phase/Non cyclic and cyclic Photophosphorylationare as under.:-
- Photochemical Phase i.e. light reaction (consisting of non-cyclic and cyclic photophosphorylation reactions) is essential for the following dark reaction (Phase-II) of photosynthesis.
- It utilizes the unending and unlimited source of energy i.e. solar energy (light) and converts it into the biologically usable form.i.e. ATP energy (Chemical Energy) with the help of PS-I and PS-II.
- Light reaction of photosynthesis is the primary source of ATP energy (chemical energy) for all organisms in the world.
- It produces the assimilatory power "ATP and NADPH2" needed for the synthesis of carbohydrates from CO2 during the Dark reaction (Phase-II).
- It releases oxygen in the atmosphere during photolysis of water.
- Light reaction of photosynthesis is the only source of oxygen in nature. it is responsible for maintaining the percentage of oxygen in the atmosphere.