The Significance of calvin Cycle is as follows.
- It is the main biochemical pathway during the dark reaction(Phase -II) of photosynthesis.
- It results in the synthesis of carbohydrates from CO2 (assimilation of carbon).
- It depends on the light reaction (Phase-I) for the supply of the assimiatory power (ATP and NADPH2) required for carbon assimilation.
- It stores the ATP energy formed during light reaction in the carbohydrate molecules as the food energy.
- It is the primary source of organic food and food energy for all the organisms.
- Calvin Cycle(C-3 cycle) reaction occur in all photosynthetic plants i.e. C-3, C-4 and CAM plants, during the dark phase of photosynthesis.